20081203

"Contradictory Proverbs II (The Tale of the Spider)"

Disclaimer: The following story is based on true incidents.  Any similarities to a story known as 'the spider and the king' are accidental.  Author is aware of the story but remembered it only after writing this entire post (sans this disclaimer of course).


There's a spider in my hostel bathroom.

7 Legged spider!
I first noticed it when one night I almost walked into the web it had built over the bathroom door.  I didn't disturb it, but I did wonder about the chances of the web surviving for long.  Sure enough, by the time I awoke the next morning, the web was gone. 

Later that day, I noticed the spider building a web again, in the exact same place.  This time I didn't really think much of it (attributing it to a glitch in the Matrix or something), and the next morning, as expected, the web was gone (again). 

Now here's the strange part.  Tonight, for the third day in a row, there was the spider again, building a web in all its glory... which inspired me to write this blog post.  

There's probably a moral-of-the-story in here, but which one is it-- "Learn from thy mistakes", or "Perseverance pays"? 

Or is the answer, as always, "it depends"?

4 comments:

Abi said...

Somebody needs to tell the spider... Move on DumbA$$ :P

INnocent_guy said...

ITs 'perseverance pays' obviously!

INnocent_guy said...

I Jus realized your spider has only 7 legs! is it physically challenged?

INnocent_guy said...

AH! now i get it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190265903424